10 hours <remaining / more> to upgrade.....

George1992

Hi!

I play an online game and would like to send the following message to my friends. Would you tell me which sentence is correct, please?

10 hours remaining to upgrade my 15-level stronghold, guys!
10 hours more to upgrade my 15-level stronghold, guys!

10 hours remaining for my 15-level stronghold to be upgraded, guys!
10 hours more for my 15-level stronghold to be upgraded, guys!

• Loob

English UK
    My problem, I'm afraid, is that I don't really understand any of the sentences.
    - I don't understand what a 15-level stronghold is.
    - I don't understand why you are writing to your friends, and what you want them to do in response to the message.

Until I understand more about the context, I'm unable to say anything.

It would also be helpful to know whether the focus of your question is on:
    "remaining" vs "more"
    or on:
    "to upgrade" vs "to be upgraded".

Last edited:

George1992

I see, Loob.

I play Empires & Puzzles on my smartphone. The stronghold has 20 levels. It unlocks more area for buildings in my kingdom if I upgrade it to particular levels. It takes hours or even days for it to upgrade. And, I belong to an alliance. There can be up to 30 players in each alliance. We help each other and fight against other alliances. We are friends.

I wanted to focus on the whole sentence. I would have to post several new threads using the same sentence. I have chosen this one ->

I think it's correct but I'm not sure.

Would you help me, please?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thank you for providing very useful context.
    As you were told, we need a specific question about a particular word or grammatical construction (Rule 5).

What part of the sentence do you think might be a mistake, if anything is?

Once you give us a start point, people will try to be helpful.

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I'm still not sure I understand. Sorry, maybe it's because I'm not a gamer. :(
    It unlocks more area for buildings in my kingdom if I upgrade it to particular levels.
    Do you mean that in 10 hours you will upgrade/be upgraded* from 15 levels to 16? Or will you upgrade/be upgraded* to 15 levels?

*Is this upgrading something that you have control over? Do you choose when to upgrade? Or do you get upgraded automatically (when certain conditions are met)?

George1992

I'm still not sure I understand. Sorry, maybe it's because I'm not a gamer. :(

Do you mean that in 10 hours you will upgrade/be upgraded* from 15 levels to 16? Or will you upgrade/be upgraded* to 15 levels?

*Is this upgrading something that you have control over? Do you choose when to upgrade? Or do you get upgraded automatically (when certain conditions are met)?

Hi, elroy ;) According to a native speaker on another forum the following sentences should be correct ->

Only 10 hours remaining before my level 15 Stronghold is upgraded, guys!
    10 more hours and my level 15 Stronghold will be upgraded, guys!

Do they sound natural to you, too?

I forgot to add one important thing. The Stronghold is always capitalized in the game as well as any other buildings. If I click on "upgrade" button, a countdown will start automatically. I have to wait several hours for it to upgrade from 15 level to 16. As soon as it is upgraded, a player is able to upgrade the other buildings to 16 level. I couldn't upgrade them to 17 level, because the Stronghold must be level 17 first :)

Last edited: