10 less dollars won't be a problem for you

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a word or expression for the context below. Please take a look.

John: Come on! Give this money to the boy.
Mike: You mean 10 dollars?
John: Yes, 10 less dollars won't be a problem for you.

==> Context: I'm looking for an expression that is more standard/common to replace "won't be a problem for you.'' The meaning is that 10 less dollars won't cause Mike to go through hardship. That he won't have financial problems because he gave 10 dollars.

Thank you in advance!

• Uncle Bob

British English
    Hello,
    There is a colloquial "is no skin off your nose".
    I'm not sure I like "less 10 dollars" and prefer "10 dollars less".
    With the above phrase it would be "Giving 10 dollars is no..."

wandle

English - British
    John:'Yes, 10 less dollars won't be a problem for you.'

You could just say:
    John:'That won't hurt you'.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Thank you, Wandle.

I also thought of "10 dollars is an amount of money that you won't want for" or "you won't want for 10 dollars".
    Those are way too Dickensian for my taste.

Xavier, if you're looking for some kind of slang or casual approximation to this thought, you need to tell us what kind of everyday approximation you're looking for. "No skin off your nose" is only going to be used by older people, for instance; it's not a universally-used phrase. Who are Mike and John? Where do they live? What's their social class? What's their relationship?

Xavier da Silva

Lucas,

The expression I'm looking for is used by people in general, regardless of their social class, money, etc. It's a standard phrase in Portuguese.

More examples:

Silvio is a very rich man. Losing or giving away one million dollars won't bankrupt him. He has much more than that.
    I'm not rich but I buy good clothes. This money(spent on clothes) will not bankrupt me. I have more than that.

Last edited:

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    The expression I'm looking for is used by people in general, regardless of their social class, money, etc.
    You're looking for something very rare then!

What about "You can afford it"? That seems like the least marked version of this idea that I can come up with:

John: Come on! Give this money to the boy.
    John: Yeah, you can afford it.

pwmeek

English - American
    This works for all financial levels, as long as the donation is scaled to the relative wealth of the donor.

"You won't miss any meals." (This donation will not deprive you of anything important.)

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "You won't miss any meals." (This donation will not deprive you of anything important.)
    That's nice. I've never said nor heard it, of course, but I immediately understand it.

I think I've heard "You won't go hungry, which is functionally equivalent to pw's suggestion.

< Previous | Next >