10 would be written "1."

< Previous | Next >

Ocham

Japanese
I think the underlined part is grammatically wrong. It should be "10 would be written as '1.'" Am I right?

It’s not clear exactly when it first appeared, but by the seventh century, if not earlier, the Indians were using a dot as a place-holder, so 10 would be written ‘1.’ and 100, ‘1..’.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with boozer. Technically, it gets weird.
    -- "'10' would be written '1'" (this is more direct)
    -- "'10' would be written as '1'"

Both are fine.

Ocham

Japanese
    In my dictionary (and all the dictionaries published in Japan), the verb "write" doesn't have the usage like that, but I'll give priority to the actual usage that is currently popular among native speakers. Thak you very much.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In my dictionary (and all the dictionaries published in Japan), the verb "write" doesn't have the usage like that,
    OED: "2 a. To form or delineate (a letter, symbol, ideogram, etc.) on paper or the like with a pen, pencil, etc.; to trace (significant characters) in this manner."

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    "Write" does take a direct object. Don't you say "Write (verb) your name (object)"?

Though using "as" there is fine too, as the others have said.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's the passive that makes this usage possible. In the active, there'd be two similar objects together, and this would be confusing:

They used to write '10' '1.' in early India. :thumbsdown:
    '10' used to be written '1.' in early India. :thumbsup:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    No, the form They used to write '10' '1.' in early India is grammatically possible and might well be spoken with a pause and a change of tone after "10". (They used to write ten... one dot in early India ). However, in writing we have to replace the inflections of our voice by written indications. One such indication would be They used to write ten: "1." Another would be to insert 'as'. For certainty's sake, most people would prefer the 'as' version.

Myridon

English - US
    10 = 1.
    100 = 1..

As stated in the OP:
    10 is 1 and 100 is 1..
    10 is 1. and 100 is 1...
    The original post has a difficult to read mixture of " and ' which doesn't help with the . at first (or second or third) glance.
    If . is a symbol that stands for 0, the sentence still needs a '.'.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    All of which argues in favour of logical punctuation rather than typesetters' punctuation.;)

As a fan of logical punctuation I had no problem understanding the OP, though for added clarity I would use "as" (twice):

... the Indians were using a dot as a place-holder; so 10 would be written as "1.", and 100 as "1..".

Ws

< Previous | Next >