10-year run at the Italian treasury

Hi

People who worked for Mr. Draghi during his 10-year run at the Italian treasury say he applied the M.I.T. approach that put aside models and theories for what actually works. (New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/business/mario-draghi-into-the-eye-of-europes-financial-storm.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ref=business )

I'm not sure which definition of "run" in the dictionaries is the meaning that we need here. Does "run" here suggest "being in charge of", "management"? What's your interpretation of "run" in the context above?

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Errrrm, it tells me he worked for the Italian treasury for a period of 10 years.

PS. And since you mentioned dictionary definitions, here is the one given by our WR dictionary:
    3 a spell of producing, proceeding, or operating: a run of bad luck.■ a continuous stretch or length of something.
    ■ a rapid series of musical notes.
    ■ a sequence of cards of the same suit.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/run

Egmont

English - U.S.
    A "run" means how long someone has been doing something. The most common context is probably when speaking about how long a play has been performed. This is from the Wikipedia article on the Agatha Christie play The Mousetrap:

"The Mousetrap opened in the West End of London in 1952, and has been running continuously since then. It has the longest initial run of any play in history, with over 24,500 performances so far. It is the longest running show (of any type) of the modern era."

However, a "run" can refer to how long anything has been going on. In this case, it means that Mr. Draghi worked at the Italian treasury for ten years. It doesn't say he was in charge of it; it only implies, by referring to people who worked for him, that he held some sort of managerial position for at least some of that time. We'd need other sources to tell us exactly what position or positions he held there.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I see the source of Alva's confusion. As a verb, "to run" does mean to direct or manage an enterprise or organization. However, here "run" is a noun, with the meanings provided by boozer and Egmont.

< Previous | Next >