101 [= 'cool', good]

Guill

Français - France
Hi everyone,

I'd like to know how common is this expression in the US (I was said that it's definitely not used un the UK), and if it sounds colloquial or not.
In French, among the youth, there's an expression, "la base" (= this is the basis) to mean that something is really cool and is (or should be) usual.

For example, can one say :

"Wow, I slept for 12 hours last night !
- Yeah man, 101 !"

Would it be understood ? How colloquial does it sound ?

Any help will be welcome :)

• Momerath

British English
    I wouldn't understand it. I thought 101 referred to a foundation course at an American college (eg Psychology 101) and was used more generally to mean "elementary".

Guill

Français - France
    I thought 101 referred to a foundation course at an American college (eg Psychology 101)
    Yes it does. But, for example, everytime I watch 8 Mile, in the end, Cheddar Bob says "Hip-Hop 101" to mean that it's not that bad but it could be improved easily. Its translation in French is "de base" and both meaning can be understood here. That's why I was wondering, by making up another example such as the one above, if it could mean anything and if it would have been understood. Regarding your answers, it seems to me that no...

Myridon

English - US
    Yes, you are right the answer is "no". "(Course Subject) 101" means something, but "101" by itself is just a number. I suppose the person in your example could have said "Sleeping 101" but a course called "Sleeping 101" would teach you not to oversleep so I don't think it makes much sense.

< Previous | Next >