11th-12th century/centuries

Alfred001

English - American
This relates to a caption for a map. There's an arrow on the map showing a path of migration and the caption is supposed to say "11th-12th century/centuries", indicating when this migration took place. I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be plural or singular.

Also, should I add "the" before the centuries? I have two captions "9th century" and "11th-12th centuries"?

Last edited:
  • Alfred001

English - American
    And what do you think about the definite article, would you put it with either of the captions?

"Until (the) 9th century"
    "(The) 11th-12th century"

Again, the context is that this is a caption next to arrows on a map showing migration routes.

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    What is the entire caption? Are you using "11th-12th century" as an adjective or a noun phrase?

If "11th-12th century" is the caption in its entirety, as part of a key (with differently coloured lines representing different ages, perhaps), then it is probably more usual to use adjectives. In a colour-coded plan of a much-altered building, for instance, I might expect to see "Victorian" and "Edwardian" in the key, rather than "Victoria" and "Edward VII".

Alfred001

English - American
    The entire captions are:

[The] Spread of the Slavic people

The eastern route
    (Until [the] 9th century)

The western route
    ([The] 11th-12th century)

Each caption stands next to an arrow showing the path of migration.

< Previous | Next >