11th-12th century/centuries

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Alfred001, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Alfred001 Senior Member

English - American
    This relates to a caption for a map. There's an arrow on the map showing a path of migration and the caption is supposed to say "11th-12th century/centuries", indicating when this migration took place. I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be plural or singular.

Also, should I add "the" before the centuries? I have two captions "9th century" and "11th-12th centuries"?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    You can use either, it doesn't matter which. The migration took place in both centuries, and it happened from the 11th to the 12th century.

3. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
    The hyphen suggest that it means "from the 11th (century) to the 12 (century) so I would leave it singular.

4. Alfred001 Senior Member

English - American
    And what do you think about the definite article, would you put it with either of the captions?

"Until (the) 9th century"
    "(The) 11th-12th century"

Again, the context is that this is a caption next to arrows on a map showing migration routes.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  5. Uncle Jack

Uncle Jack Senior Member

Cumbria, UK
    British English
    What is the entire caption? Are you using "11th-12th century" as an adjective or a noun phrase?

If "11th-12th century" is the caption in its entirety, as part of a key (with differently coloured lines representing different ages, perhaps), then it is probably more usual to use adjectives. In a colour-coded plan of a much-altered building, for instance, I might expect to see "Victorian" and "Edwardian" in the key, rather than "Victoria" and "Edward VII".

6. Alfred001 Senior Member

English - American
    The entire captions are:

[The] Spread of the Slavic people

The eastern route
    (Until [the] 9th century)

The western route
    ([The] 11th-12th century)

Each caption stands next to an arrow showing the path of migration.

7. Uncle Jack

Uncle Jack Senior Member

Cumbria, UK
    British English
    I'd treat them as adjectives then. So "century" (singular), no articles and "pre-" instead of "until".