12 dollars short

< Previous | Next >

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, there

Let's say I am paying for something at a checkout and the cashier give me my change but he still owes me 12 dollars in change. Would it be possible to say:

"Excuse me, I think this is 12 dollars short"?

Thank you

• Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Maybe, but I think we'd be more likely to say "that's twelve dollars short" or "you're twelve dollars short."
    But what's the difference between "I think this is twelve dollars short" and "I think that's twelve dollars short"?.. bus is it ok to say "this/that is + number + short"? Is it common?

The Newt

English - US
    But what's the difference between "I think this is twelve dollars short" and "I think that's twelve dollars short"?.. bus is it ok to say "this/that is + number + short"? Is it common?
    It's just a question of what things we think of as "that" and what things we think of as "this." I think we would refer to "that act of paying" that you the customer are in the process of doing rather than "this pile of money you just left here (but that I haven't accepted yet)," but maybe if I counted it and followed you to the door holding the money as you were about to leave I might say "this." Grammatically both are fine.

Packard

USA, English
    Hi, there

Let's say I am paying for something at a checkout and the cashier give me my change but he still owes me 12 dollars in change. Would it be possible to say:

Thank you
    You could say that. I would simply hand back the cash and say, "I think you miscounted."

Or hand it back and say, "I'm coming up with a different amount than this; please recount this."

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    This sounds correct to me. I use "this", not "that", for money that is in my hand after the clerk gave me my change.

"That" would make sense for money in the cash register. But "this" is the normal pronoun for things at/near the speaker.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    This sounds correct to me. I use "this", not "that", for money that is in my hand after the clerk gave me my change.

"That" would make sense for money in the cash register. But "this" is the normal pronoun for things at/near the speaker.
    I agree that the original sounds fine.
    It's just a question of what things we think of as "that" and what things we think of as "this." I think we would refer to "that act of paying" that you the customer are in the process of doing rather than "this pile of money you just left here (but that I haven't accepted yet)," but maybe if I counted it and followed you to the door holding the money as you were about to leave I might say "this." Grammatically both are fine.
    You could say that. I would simply hand back the cash and say, "I think you miscounted."

Or hand it back and say, "I'm coming up with a different amount than this; please recount this."

Would it be possible to say "I am 12 dollars short" instead of "This/that is 12 dollars short"?

< Previous | Next >