15,000 quid

The cub

Spanish
Greetings:)

I've recently watched a movie called Unless night (1972), and there was something disconcerting about it. In that movie, the main character atended to an auction in hopes of getting a Rembrandt, but finally someone else offered 15,000 guineas for that painting. A bit later, the main character told that someone has offered 15,000 quid for the painting.

I thought the word "quid" was a colloquial way to say "pound", and thus my confusion. Can I really use the word "quid" for a different British currency, other than pound?

By the way, the movie was set in the present (I mean, in the 70's)

Thanks.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, I've never heard a guinea called a quid, but by that time the guinea was no longer in use except for prices of paintings, prizes in horse races, and certain professional fees. Anyone would probably think 15 000 guineas was 15 000 pounds 'plus that little bit extra'. They wouldn't stop to calculate that the bit extra actually pushed it towards 16 000 quid.

The cub

Spanish
    No, I've never heard a guinea called a quid, but by that time the guinea was no longer in use except for prices of paintings, prizes in horse races, and certain professional fees. Anyone would probably think 15 000 guineas was 15 000 pounds 'plus that little bit extra'.

I see. That makes it simpler, even when if the figure is very high that plus is not so little;)

Now, it's clear.
    Thanks for your answers:)