16 ans, dont 8 à l'international

FBC

French
Bonjour tout le monde,

J'essaie de traduire un sous-titre de CV qui dit :

16 ans d'expérience, dont 8 àl'international.

J'ai regardé les différents posts sur les sujets, mais je n'arrive pas à être sûre de la traduction à utiliser.

Diriez-vous :
16-year (work) experience, among which 8 abroad?
16 years of (work) experience, of which 8 abroad?

ou autrement :
16-year experience in various countries?

Toute suggestion et correction est bienvenue.

Merci d'avance...

• misterk

English-American
    "16 years of experience in various countries" suggests that you were working in various different countries for all of the 16 years.

Any of the following might work:
    16 years of experience, 8 of which were overseas/in other countries/abroad
    16 years' experience, of which 8 were overseas/in other countries/abroad
    These suggest that you had a "home base" somewhere - presumably where you are living and writing from now - but 8 of your 16 years of work experience were spent in other countries.

FBC

French
    Great, thank you misterk. I'll use the second suggestion I think.

However, I'm very surprised by the "16 years' experience"... I would never have put it that way... That's why this website exists...

But by the way, would "16-year" be correct? As in the hospitality industry, a 4-star resort or a 4 stars resort, for example?

misterk

English-American
    You can hyphenate a phrase like "16-year" when it is being used an adjective. For example,
    We will take a 5-minute break, and then we will reconvene.
    She had a 6-month engagement at the Palace Theatre.
    Does this resort have 4 stars? Yes, it is a 4-star resort.

"16-year experience" does not sound natural in English. I cannot imagine a situation in which you would use that in a CV.

OLN

French - France, ♀
    abroad or overseas would be à l'étranger or dans des pays étrangers.

"
    à l'international" can only mean something else. Isn't this a clumsy abreviation of "au plan international" ?

My guess is that the person spent 8 years working at the international department of one or various companies, handling contracts with other countries or something of the kind.
    -> 8 of which on an international level (?)

misterk

English-American
    I don't think so. She proposes "16-year experience in various countries" as an an explanation of what she is trying to convey. I suspect that working abroad is in fact what she means.

OLN

French - France, ♀
    […]
    I'm still not sure. Now she writes in English, but "16-year experience in various countries" is as ambiguous, particularly when you read that 8 of them were "à l'international".
    If I understand what's been discussed in former threads, "à l'international" means she was working with foreign countries, not in different countries.

I'd go for 8 of which were with foreign countries, if you can't ask her what she means exactly.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter since your question was about 16 ans dont 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    […]

Back to the question, and without further explanation, I'd be tempted to translate « dont 8 » simply as "including 8" as in this example found on Linguee :
    Il cumule 23 années d'expérience (dont 12 à l'international)
    He has 23 years experience (including 12 in international trade)

Last edited by a moderator:

FBC

French
    La discussion a bien évolué en mon absence ! :)

Je veux vraiment dire "dans des pays autres que mon pays d'origine", c'est à dire abroad ou overseas, et non "avec des pays autres que mon pays d'origine".

J'ai souvent vu cette expression, "à l'international", utilisée dans le sens "abroad", dans des offres d'emploi. Peut-être est-ce spécifique à mon domaine (Hôtellerie)?

Mais du coup, vos remarques me font réfléchir, et même si à force de l'entendre, l'expression "à l'international" me semblait correcte et courante, je me demande si je ne vais pas opter pour "à l'étranger".

En tous cas, merci à tous pour votre aide.

< Previous | Next >