1700 AC [1700 AD (Anno Domini)]

Sagittarius_Girl

Spanish
Hola, quisiera saber cómo se lee en inglés 1700.

Por ejemplo, "in the 1700 AC...."

Mi intento es "in the sixteen century AC", pero no estoy segura...

¡¡¡Gracias por la ayuda!!!

• aurilla

Am Eng/PR Spanish
    El número 1700 AC en inglés se lee "seventeen hundred A-D"

Si es 16th century AC, entonces es "sixteenth century"

B.C. is for "Before Christ", "A.D." is for Anno Domini, Latin for "In the Year of Our Lord"

Originally the Latin was "a.C.n.", an abbreviation of "Ante Christum Natum", which is Latin for "before the birth of Christ". However, this changed at some point to BC.

el5obeatle

Spanish - Mexico
    I wonder why in English is used an abbreviation in Latin to indicate the years after Jesus Christ's Date of Birth and instead, for the previous years, it is used an abbreviation in English.
    It seems to me a little bit illogical.

It would be much better both of them in Latin or both of them in English and not mixing them at all. Otherwise it is confused (specially for non-native English speakers).

Last edited:

SydLexia

UK English
    I wonder why in English is used an abbreviation in Latin to indicate the years after Jesus Christ's Date of Born and instead, for the previous years, it is used an abbreviation in English.
    It seems to me a little bit illogical.

It would be much better both of them in Latin or both of them in English and not mixing them at all. Otherwise it is confused (specially for non-native English speakers).
    Actually there are modern alternatives: CE and BCE, with CE standing for "Common Era".

See Common Era - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Era Común - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

syd

< Previous | Next >