175-point turn

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Preston is driving his car along a forest path, when sees a fallen tree across the way. He tells Jessie who is on the passenger's seat:
— Well, I guess you get to see my patented 175-point turn.
But before he does anything she notices something outside and they get out of the car to look at it closer.
Jessabelle, movie

How does it differ from "180-degree turn", and what does "point" mean?
Thanks.

• pob14

American English
    I think it's actually alluding to a three-point turn, which is a U-turn which is accomplished by moving forward, back, and forward again while turning. He's saying he has so little room that it will take him 175 moves (an exaggeration) to make the turn.

heypresto

English - England
    Although they are called 'three-point turns' by just about everybody else, driving instructors and testers always ask you to 'turn the car around using forward and reverse gears' (or something very similar). At least, in the UK. At least when I took my test aeons ago.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    To me this sentence is clearly a joke.

Saying "my patented" is bragging: he is a saying this is an amazing invention of his. Inventions are "patented".

But then he says "175-point turn", implying that he has to go back and forth 175 times, when most drivers can do the turn while just going back and forth 3 times (a "three-point turn"). So he is bragging about a terrible invention: a joke.

Packard

USA, English
    This is the same illustration as POB linked but a little more graphic. The "three points" are the three starting points in the action.

< Previous | Next >