18 billion shares traded

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
The exchange processed a record 390 million orders in the first hour of trading, eclipsing the last record in May 2010. All told, 18 billion shares traded on the nation’s stock market, the most active day in a year. The New York Times (subscription)

Dear all,

Should there be a "were" between "shares" and "traded"? Thanks.

LQZ

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    That would be a more common construction, but here the author is using "trade" instransitively, to speak of the shares as, more or less, "trading hands."

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Yes you could insert a 'were' there. It's not uncommon for the 'were' to be dropped in journalistic reportage; I think it is felt to be more immediate and/or vivid to write in that way.

e.g. houses burnt, shops looted, police cars over-turned; a shocking spectacle of appalling carnage.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Yes you could insert a 'were' there. It's not uncommon for the 'were' to be dropped in journalistic reportage; I think it is felt to be more immediate and/or vivid to write in that way.

e.g. houses burnt, shops looted, police cars over-turned; a shocking spectacle of appalling carnage.
    I think the sentence in question differs from your example, though. In your example, the author is just stringing together a series of otherwise isolated phrases which do not play a grammatical role in the sentence, and the verbs are all passive in form. The way I read the NYT sentence about stock trading, it is fully grammatical, the shares are subject of their verb, and "traded" is active and intransitive.

< Previous | Next >