2.0 - deux point zéro

Knitricoteuse

English
Hello,

In a text about the work of an artist who leverages social media and the power of the omnipresent image in public spaces, there is this sentence:

Votre projet participatif n’existerait pas dans un monde qui ne serait pas 2.0.

What does 2.0 mean here, since the author is clearly using it a figurative sense. Something like a digital world, high-tech world?

• Kecha

French (France)
    Hello,

Wikipedia about "Web 2.0" :
    L'usage du « .0 » s’est largement répandu par allusion. En particulier, on trouve le suffixe « 2.0 » accolé à n'importe quel concept XXX. Dans la plupart des cas, le concept XXX 2.0 ne désigne pas nécessairement une « mise à jour majeure » (la plus grande transformation depuis sa création, puisqu'on en est au numéro 2) du concept XXX, mais une utilisation du web 2.0 dans le cadre du concept XXX.
    suggestion:
    "... in the world as it was before web 2.0" ?

Knitricoteuse

English
    I have no idea what "web 2.0" means, and I'm not sure I understand the Wiki excerpt, especially the ending...

I take it to mean a hyper-connected world. Is that totally off?

Knitricoteuse

English
    Thank you, Llyn4n4. So, is "a 2.0 world" something English speakers will understand? I had never heard of this, but I am not particularly tech-savvy.

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    Me, neither!
    In a binary world????
    "Your project could only exist in a binary world."
    Your project could not exist in a world that was not digital/binary. :confused:

didierpitre

French - Ontario (Canada)
    I'm no expert, but for me, the 1.0 web was one where the large majority of users consumed content (think visiting personal or corporate websites, passive participation where users consume pre-existing content); whereas web 2.0 is one where the large majority of users create content (blogs, social media, wikis, etc.; where content is created by its users) - so the hyper-connectivity was always there, but the type of activity has changed.

This could explain why a projet participatif could only exist in a 2.0 world, because it requires active participation rather than passive participation. But this just a guess from my understanding of the terms.

Kecha

French (France)
    "Web 2.0" is a made up version number that symbolizes the shift in internet usage in the 2000's, as didierpitre said, from a more static content sharing to today's participative platforms.

Think "Britannica Online" versus "Wikipedia" : one is a static scholar publication, the other is perpetually updated by users themselves.
    Nobody said "you've got to stop using Britannica Online and start using Wikipedia", no one released any "internet update", it just happened on its own.

It's like saying "the Middle-Age ended in 1500", nothing specific happened on January 1, 1500, it's just a (slightly arbritrary) label that was retrospectively attached to the date.

This artist's project would not exist in the world as it was before participative platforms, social media, etc.

< Previous | Next >