2 essive vs 3 inessive infinitive

< Previous | Next >

Gordon Freeman

Russian
Hi!

Kun hän siinä mietiskeli savukettaan poltellen, osuivat hänen silmänsä edessä olevaan kuvastimeen, ja siinä hän näki heijastuksen pöydästä, jonka ääressä neljä miestä istui korttia pelaamassa.

Tell me please about the difference in meaning and use between these two infinitives, because I cannot see any.

• Maunulan Pappa

Finnish
    In my humble opinion (not a very educated one), the difference in this example is:
    • "hän mietiskeli savukettaan poltellen" relates to the manner of his being: he contemplated (as he was) smoking a cigarette;
    • "neljä miestä istui korttia pelaamassa" relates to the reason why the four men were sitting there: they sat there for the purpose of playing card and they were doing just that.
    So the first phrase explains how, the second one explains what.

Gordon Freeman

Russian
    Thank you, Maunulan! I took some time to ruminate your point, and the difference doesn't seem so subtle to me now as it seemed at first.

Marko55

Finnish
    When we think of the use of these infinitives (-en / -massa), we can look at the finite verbs in the sentences. We can make three groups:

1) (finite verb) + (-en)
    E.g. the verb mietiskellä belongs to this group:
    Kun hän siinä mietiskeli savukettaan poltellen, ...
    The infinitive polttelemassa would sound strange in this sentence.
    Another example: tulla and other verbs of movement:
    Lapsi tuli/meni/käveli/juoksi/kiiruhti itkien kotiin.
    Lapsi tuli/meni/käveli/juoksi/kiiruhti itkemässä kotiin. (WRONG)

2) (finite verb) + (-massa)
    E.g. the verb olla belongs to this group:
    Hän on uimassa.
    Hän on uiden. (WRONG)

3) (finite verb) + (-en) / (-massa)
    E.g. the verb istua belongs to this group:
    1a) Volodjan äiti, Njuta ja eräs naissukulainen istuivat terassilla pelaten korttia. (found by Google search)
    1b) ... ja siinä hän näki heijastuksen pöydästä, jonka ääressä neljä miestä istui korttia pelaamassa.
    2a) Hän istuu samanlaisessa sinisessä paidassaan talonsa portailla lehteä lukien. (found by Google search)
    2b) Vahtimestari istuu aulassa lehteä lukemassa. (found by Google search)

According to the following site, the second infinitive's instructive form (-en) means "how to do sth" and the third infinitive's inessive form (-massa) refers to the place (e.g. hän on syömässä):
    Infinitiivit

These are the basic meanings of these infinitives. After a certain finite verb only one of these infinitive forms is usually possible.

< Previous | Next >