2- She did bad in the tests than she expected but better in

nado92

arabic
2- She did bad in the tests than she expected but better in the final exam".

find the mistake.

I think bad will be worse.
Am I right?
Thanks in advance

• panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    So do I. You need comparative at there.
    or you can say that " She did so bad in the tests that she didn't expect a result like this but after better in the final exam.
    Many people say that, but if you want to pass exams in English, be sure to say "She did so badly...".
    The red text is not correct.

Loob

English UK
    I also vote for "worse":
    "She did worse {in the tests} than she expected but better in the final exam".

koleda

Czech
    I would add: ...than she had expected.... First she had some expectations as to her performance on the tests and then she did the tests.

I am not native speaker though, just guessing...

e174043

Turkish,Azerbaijani
    koleda, I agree with you to a certain extent. Yet, I think expectation is something general whether it is in the past or the future. I'd say that ;
    She did worse in the tests than see expected but better in the final exam.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I would add: ...than she had expected.... First she had some expectations as to her performance on the tests and then she did the tests.

I am not native speaker though, just guessing...
    Past perfect uses verb form to place one action before another. In this sentence that is not necessary. You don't need to put "expect" in past perfect because there are plenty of time cues already.

Having said that, the sentence is correct and sounds natural with "had expected" too.

< Previous | Next >