20-30 meters closer to us

Zealous

Russian
The flower store is straight behind that road: there is a small side-street to the right of the lights and the store is 20-30 meters ...

here I need Your help. I guess there should be a word or a couple of words to mean that the place where the flower store is is 20-30 meters closer to us, and that the guy who wants to buy some flowers shouldn't go so far, to the side-street, which is 20-30 meters further.

I've looked up in a dictionary what it might be, but the only translation I've found was "this side of something". I'm not sure, though, that this expression could fit for being used here.

Thank you!

• curlyboy20

Peruvian Spanish.
    Hi Zealous!

I don't really understand what it is that you need us to help you with. Are you saying that the flower store is 20-30 meters off the side-street????

Zealous

Russian
    Are you saying that the flower store is 20-30 meters off the side-street????
    Hey Curlyboy! I want to say that the store is 20-30 meters kind of in front of the side-street. Like if the distance between where we are and a very big and recognizable building is 100 meters and you say to someone that the distance between where we are and a flower store is 70 meters. So 30 meters "off?" that building?

Zealous

Russian
    The florist's shop is this side of that side street, about 20 to 30 meters before you get to it.
    Thank you, GreenWhiteBlue! If to make it reverse, can i say

The florist's shop is that side of that side street, about 20 to 30 meters after you get to it

??

Last edited:

curlyboy20

Peruvian Spanish.
    No, I don't think you would say "30 meters off that building", but I still don't quite understand the whole scenario. I know it's hard to describe in words. This is when maps become SO useful :)

Zealous

Russian
    Can it be 30 meters before you get to that building? I've changed the context in hope to find a universal phrase that could be used in every case.

johndot

English - England
    The flower store is 30m this side of the side turning.
    The flower store is 30m before the side turning.
    The flower store is 30m short of the side turning.
    (Or you could say, “When you reach the side turning you’ve gone too far, so turn round and go back 30m.)

The flower store is 30m the other side of the side turning.
    The flower store is 30m after the side turning.
    The flower store is 30m further than the side turning.

< Previous | Next >