20 dollars is/are?

sleepwalking

vietnamese-english
Hello everybody, I'm a newbie, please help me this sentence, thanks so much:)
Twenty dollars..... the price.
A.were
B.are
C.being
D.is
I chose D, but my teacher chose B
I heard people say "20 dollars is how much in euros?" or something like that, I think that "20 dollars" is just a mount of money to representative for the price, so I chose B, does it wrong?
I don't know how to explain:(

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Psychodelic

English
    Although the normal rules of English have 'are' after plural words, Chris K. is correct. D is definitely the proper answer. I want you to change your teachers mind. But if they're really certain about the rules of English they already know then I don't know if you can.

If your teacher's native tongue is English, then you need to find a new teacher. If it's not English I don't really blame them.

Last edited:

JordyBro

English - Australia
    "twenty dollars" functions as a singular noun (except it doesn't take a). This applies to other numbers + measurements (eg 20 litres, 1 gram, 4 gigabytes etc)

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    "twenty dollars" functions as a singular noun (except it doesn't take a). This applies to other numbers + measurements (eg 20 litres, 1 gram, 4 gigabytes etc)
    Sometimes that may be true, but here the true subject of the sentence is the price. For emphasis, the sentence was inverted from The price is $20.

Price is singular and so is the verb that goes with it.

That should be very simple for any decent English teacher to understand and teach!

< Previous | Next >