200’s USD - how much is it?

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
Hi,

The following is a slogan from a guide written by a US home builder for international buyers who come to the US to buy homes.

BEST-IN-CLASS SELECTION STARTING IN THE 200’S USD

How much is 200's USD? According to the client's feedback, STARTING IN THE 200’S USD means their house prices start from 200,000 USD. Could you tell me why 200's could mean 200,000? what does 's mean? Strictly speaking, is 200's an appropriate short form for 200,000?

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Yes, it means prices starting above $200,000. It's just a shorthand way of expressing the low end of the range of house prices.
    If we read it aloud, we'd say "Starting in the two hundreds." It's obvious to anyone who knows about house prices, that it can't be $200. It has to be $200,000.

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    Yes, it means prices starting above $200,000. It's just a shorthand way of expressing the low end of the range of house prices.
    If we read it aloud, we'd say "Starting in the two hundreds." It's obvious to anyone who knows about house prices, that it can't be $200. It has to be $200,000.
    Thank you. But could you tell me what 's exactly means? At least it's not a plural form, right?

sdgraham

USA English
    It certainly is a plural (which shouldn't have had an apostrophe). Not counting cents, there are 100,000 possible prices from 200,000 to 299,999.

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    It certainly is a plural (which shouldn't have had an apostrophe). Not counting cents, there are 100,000 possible prices from 200,000 to 299,999.
    Thank you for your response.

Do you mean $200s and $200’s are the same in this context?

Could you tell me when a native speaker sees $200s (not $200’s) in a book (assuming he doesn’t know this refers to house prices), would he understand it as from $200 to $299 or from $200,000 to $299,999?

What if what he sees is $200’s (not $200s)?

As far as I’m concerned (none-native speaker), I would understand $200s as from $200 to $299, knowing that 1980s means from the year of 1980 to 1989.

Last edited:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes. current style recommends leaving out the apostrophe. In the past the apostrophe was common. And yes, this is the same plural as in the years, eg 1980s as you have mentioned.

You will also have noted that for prices of items, the number of noughts/zeros you add depends on the kinds of prices you're talking about. In a place where property prices are in their millions, you can expect 'million' to be omitted ('They paid 20 for that'; 'these are properties in their 20s').

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Failbetter, I think you have a good point in post #5. It's true that if an American sees home prices described as "$200s", it will be obvious that actually $200,000 to $299,000 is meant. It will not necessarily be obvious to others. It seems to me that a US home builder addressing those whose native language isn't English ought to refer to "the $200,000s" (or "USD 200,000s").

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    Yes. current style recommends leaving out the apostrophe. In the past the apostrophe was common. And yes, this is the same plural as in the years, eg 1980s as you have mentioned.

You will also have noted that for prices of items, the number of noughts/zeros you add depends on the kinds of prices you're talking about. In a place where property prices are in their millions, you can expect 'million' to be omitted ('They paid 20 for that'; 'these are properties in their 20s').
    Thank you! Got it.

failbetter

Chinese - Mandarin
    Failbetter, I think you have a good point in post #5. It's true that if an American sees home prices described as "$200s", it will be obvious that actually $200,000 to $299,000 is meant. It will not necessarily be obvious to others. It seems to me that a US home builder addressing those whose native language isn't English ought to refer to "the $200,000s" (or "USD 200,000s").
    Thank you! Got it.

< Previous | Next >