2013 the academic work competition

aChinesestudent

Chinese
"This paper was awarded the 3rd prize in 2013 the academic work competition of the University. "

Is this sentence grammatically right? If not, how to correct it?

Thanks very much for your help!

• Welcome. :)

Each time you post, we ask you to supply context and also advise that we don't do general proof reading.

So....where does this sentence come from? Is it a test? Did you write it yourself, read it somewhere?

What most troubles you in this sentence?

aChinesestudent

Chinese
    Welcome. :)

Each time you post, we ask you to supply context and also advise that we don't do general proof reading.

So....where does this sentence come from? Is it a test? Did you write it yourself, read it somewhere?

What most troubles you in this sentence?
    Thank you again! To be honest, my English teacher taught me this sentence.

However, I still regard it as a little weird for I am not sure about the expression of "2013 the academic work competition".

Thanks for the getting back.

First of all, official names/titles of things get capitalized, and I suspect "the" is misplaced. I think the intention was:

"won 3rd prize in the 2013 Academic Work Competition" where 2013, along with the other words, are adjectives describing Competition as the complete title. ("in the 20_ _ Bejing Olympics" :))

We idiomatically say 1st prize,2nd prize, 3rd prize, absent "the."

If 2013 is not part of the title, it has to be rewritten in other ways.

aChinesestudent

Chinese
    Thanks for the getting back.

First of all, official names/titles of things get capitalized, and I suspect "the" is misplaced. I think the intention was:

"won 3rd prize in the 2013 Academic Work Competition" where 2013, along with the other words, are adjectives describing Competition as the complete title. ("in the 20_ _ Bejing Olympics" :))

We idiomatically say 1st prize,2nd prize, 3rd prize, absent "the."

If 2013 is not part of the title, it has to be rewritten in other ways.
    Haha, I'm really studying in Beijing now!

So, this sentence should be corrected as "This paper was awarded 3rd prize in the 2013 academic work competition of the University" ?

< Previous | Next >