"20th Century Fox"

remundial

Español - Colombia
What does it mean "20th Century Fox"? I realise "Fox" can be an animal or it can be a "hoax" too. I don't think it is an animal of the 20th Century but a "20th Century Hoax", that is really a curious name for that company. Am I right?

• GenJen54

USA - English
    Hi remundial,

Welcome to the Forums!

The short answer to your question is no.

20th Century Fox is named after its founder, William Fox, who started Fox Studios in 1913.

In 1935, Fox Studios merged with Century Studios and 20th Century Fox was born.

Hoax cannot come from fox, and "fox" in 20th Century Fox, does not come from the animal, but from the man who founded the company.

Many of the original "Majors" (major Hollywood studios) were named after their founders. This has changed some since so many are now corporately owned.

river

U.S. English
    GenJen54 said:
    I guess IMDB, Wikipedia and more notably my film history book (currently boxed up) all have it wrong. Mea culpa.
    Or my source could be wrong.

remundial

Español - Colombia
    Thank you GenJen54. I've read that "to fox" is almost the same thing than "to hoax", so I thought that "Fox" was related with "Hoax".

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    remundial said:
    Thank you GenJen54. I've read that "to fox" is almost the same thing than "to hoax", so I thought that "Fox" was related with "Hoax".
    You're right about fox and hoax, or perhaps fox and confuse, but that's not at all relevant to "20th Century Fox".

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    I grew up with "I'm foxed" meaning "I'm puzzled." I think its use if only intransitive as I have never heard it applied to an action someone does to someone else. "I have foxed her."

remundial

Español - Colombia
    Looks like "to fox" and "to hoax" is related in Ireland but no in U.S.A. In my dictionary (English - Spanish) it says:

to fox: to hoax with trickery.

According to Panjandrum, maybe "20th Century Fox" remains as a pun not so obvious, taking advantage of Mr. Fox lastname. Thank you all for responding my question.

< Previous | Next >