22-piece choral orchestra

entrapta

Italian
22-piece choral orchestra. What does it mean? I guess I have to say "orchestra e coro -polifonico-? di ventidue elementi"? But 22 pieces including both?:confused:no more clues sorry

• london calling

UK English
    Personally, I would talk about members if talking about the choir and pieces if talking about the instruments. I immediately thought "22 instruments" (but I'm not an expert in the field:(), so to my mind this would translate to Orchestra di 22 elementi con coro.

But wait for some expert advice! :)

panzona

Mmmh... Are you sure (or: do you know if) it's an original English sentence? I mean, coming from native speakers?
    I'll tell you why: as you of course know, "choral" in English refers to choir, people singing together, but in your sentence it doesn't make much sense to me, whereas it makes a lot of sense if you translate "choral" as "put together", "compound", that is an orchestra of 22 elements coming, for instance from different orchestras of the same city, or composed by established smaller groups...

Just an idea, native speakers with music knowledge may have better ones! :)

entrapta

Italian
    Oh.... it is an AE sentence written like this: "tenty-two-piece choral orchestra". You may be right maybe there was no choir at all. I only know that it was sponsored by a factory to promote its product but as far as I can tell there might have been no choir...

panzona

Again, English natives may have brighter ideas, but it sounds to me like a synonym of "big", with "all" instruments (and not a small orchestra with only, say, strings, or brass...)

london calling

UK English
    Again, English natives may have brighter ideas, but it sounds to me like a synonym of "big", with "all" instruments (and not a small orchestra with only, say, strings, or brass...)
    Actually, a choral orchestra is an orchestra plus a chorus. A choral orchestra would perform choral works like Mozart's Requiem, for example. ;)

Edit: have a look at this.

panzona

Originally Posted by panzona
    Actually, a choral orchestra is an orchestra plus a chorus. A choral orchestra would perform choral works like Mozart's Requiem, for example. ;)

Edit: have a look at this.

Well... as I said, I had no referenced idea, it was only a brainstorming!
    (Anyway, the link you posted is superb, isn't it? ;))

Last edited: