2200 G M T

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
IdF
French (lower Normandy)
Hello

Sorry to be such a bore, I know this question has already been asked on the Italian forum but I just would like to be sure.
At the end of an article from BBC News, it was written "2200GMT".
Will it be pronounced "twenty-two hundred GMT"?

And what about "2215"?
"Twenty-two fifteen"?

Thanks for your help :) (& sorry for that question. Surely I must have already heard it but I can't remember now... :()

• The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    Hello

Sorry to be such a bore, I know this question has already been asked on the Italian forum but I just would like to be sure.
    At the end of an article from BBC News, it was written "2200GMT".
    Will it be pronounced "twenty-two hundred GMT"?

And what about "2215"?
    "Twenty-two fifteen"?

Thanks for your help :) (& sorry for that question. Surely I must have already heard it but I can't remember now... :()

Spot on, Dear P.

sdgraham

USA English
    As something of a side note, "GMT" (Greenwich Mean Time) is no longer current official usage. At one time, it referred to a bank of clocks at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich, England (greater London). The "mean" time was the mean of the slightly different times displayed by each clock.

The current official designation is "Coordinated Universal Time" or UTC. Yes, the initials do not match the name in any language and apparently the French speakers at the international meeting were at odds with the English speakers and so the only way they could agree was to have a set of initials that were neither French nor English.

GMT is still commonly used, of course.