24 hours to <clear> Nordberg

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
In cotton fibres of Nordberg's -- an injured cop who is now in a hospital in a comma -- jacket, heroin was found in a laboratory, which may cast a shadow over Police Squad with which he is, and which is responsible for the Queen's safety when she stays in the city. Cpt. Hocken to lt. Drebin (who is Nordberg's friend):
-- I'm telling you that the Queen arrives here the day after tomorrow. If the press should pick this up, with Nordberg still part of the force, it could be embarrassing to the police and the city. I'm sorry, Frank. I'm giving you 24 hours to clear Nordberg.
The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!, movie

In this case, does "clear" mean "to prove his innocence"? Thank you.

• Myridon

English - US
    ... otherwise, Nordberg will be fired, right?
    It doesn't say that they will fire him. It says the police and the city will be embarrassed if an un-cleared Nordberg is on the force if the press finds out about "this." They might fire him, he might quit, he might be cleared, they might decide to deal with the embarrassment, the press might not ever find out, ... The future has not been determined.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you everyone.

It doesn't say that they will fire him. It says the police and the city will be embarrassed if an un-cleared Nordberg is on the force if the press finds out about "this." They might fire him, he might quit, he might be cleared, they might decide to deal with the embarrassment, the press might not ever find out, ... The future has not been determined.
    But doesn't that sound like an ultimatum?

< Previous | Next >