2500 million = 2.5 billion

fdk47

Tagalog
How do you read out loud when you see "2500" on a table for profits of each division in a company? The table is in million dollars.

I've read other ".5" thread and learned that i
n general conversation, you say "2.5 years" as "two and a half years" and in technical terms," two point five years."

I've read million/billion threads and I've learned that 2000 in the table in million dollars would be read as "two billion."

So I'm guessing, a native speaker would read it as "two point five billion (dollars)" in this case, correct?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    So I'm guessing, a native speaker would read it as "two point five billion (dollars)" in this case, correct?
    Yes, that is how I would read it, particularly as we are talking about dollars.

Historically, there was the British billion (= one million million) and the American billion (= one thousand million). The American use has become the norm. Of course this presents difficulties when reading older British and American documents.

You might wish to look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales which describes how large numbers are spoken.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think that's fine for both AmE and BrE speakers today. I would just be a little careful if I know that there are continental Europeans and might use Biffo's version (or 'two thousand, five hundred million').

English used to have the word milliard for a thousand million, but it's no longer in use today.

< Previous | Next >