25th anniversary, one word

Discussion in 'English Only' started by RusskiPower, Feb 12, 2010.

1. RusskiPower

RusskiPower Member

There is one word for a 20-year anniversary or something that happens once in 20 years, bidecennial. Is there such a word for 25 years too, please?

Thanks a lot!

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    a silver anniversary is the 25th anniversary

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    No is the simple answer. If you had to use a single word, quarter-centenary would be possible, but this is dangerously close to quatercentenary, a 400th anniversary.

4. Tyler_27 New Member

English - America
    I agree with entangledbank. No one I've ever know has used a single word for any kind of anniversary, except for decade, century and millennium (and I'm sure a few other insignificant things). Typically for a relationship you would just say 25th anniversary. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    I am not convinced that bidecennial would be understood by any other than a handful of BE speakers. Even then there would be much head-scratching and wondering if it meant that something happened twice every ten years or once every other ten years. Every twenty years would have to be vigintennial. I think every twenty-five years would have to be vigintiquinquennial.

25th anniversary seems somewhat simpler to understand.

6. mangoman Senior Member

Edinburgh
    British English
    Just to clarify Thomas1's answer: a "silver anniversary" is used to mean the 25th anniversary of someone's wedding, and there are others (golden=50, ruby=40...) but these are only used of wedding anniversaries. For the 25th anniversary of something else, we don't have a word.

7. mangoman Senior Member

Edinburgh
    British English
    Ah, excellent, yes.

8. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Note that many, many AE speakers will not have any idea of what a silver jubilee means.

9. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If you look, you will find that there are many examples of silver anniversary used with reference to occasions other than wedding anniversaries.
    CLICK HERE

However, after a great deal of detailed analysis I have decided that the term silver anniversary consists of two words. So that won't do.
    Sigh.

I have never seen bidecennial before and there is no point in trying it out.
    No one would have any idea what I meant.
    OK, a few smarties would, but I don't write/speak for smarties.
    It's not in the OED :)

10. RusskiPower

RusskiPower Member

Thanks a lot everyone!