26% of visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation

PureLand

Senior Member
Chinese
Source: Cambridge IELTS 13 Reading Test 1 Passage 1 IELTS and PTE | Reading Test 105

The website was set up to allow both individuals and travel organisations to create itineraries and travel packages to suit their own needs and interests. On the website, visitors can search for activities not solely by geographical location, but also by the particular nature of the activity. This is important as research shows that activities are the key driver of visitor satisfaction, contributing 74% to visitor satisfaction, while transport and accommodation account for the remaining 26%.

Does the following statement agree with the information given in Reading Passage 1? Write
TRUE if the statement agrees with the information
FALSE if the statement contradicts the information
NOT GIVEN if there is no information on this

According to research, 26% of visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation.

I wrote TRUE because 26% of visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation, and it is also related to transport, although the latter is not mentioned in the statement. I have no idea why my understanding is problematic. If A is related to B, does it rule out any possibility of A being related to anything else? :confused: Thank you :)
 
Last edited:
  • suzi br

    Senior Member
    English / England
    The original means that transport and accommodation are two separate categories which add up to the remaining 26%.
     

    PaulQ

    Banned
    UK
    English - England
    According to research, 26% of visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation.

    I wrote TRUE because 26% of visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation, and it is also related to transport,
    This is a matter of logic and maths, not language. The language is clear.
    According to research, 26% of visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation. is obviously false because the 26% of visitor satisfaction is the sum of [the satisfaction related to their accommodation (say 17%)] + [the satisfaction is related to their transportation (say 9%).]
     

    PureLand

    Senior Member
    Chinese
    The original means that transport and accommodation are two separate categories which add up to the remaining 26%.
    This is a matter of logic and maths, not language. The language is clear.
    According to research, 26% of visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation. is obviously false because the 26% of visitor satisfaction is the sum of [the satisfaction related to their accommodation (say 17%)] + [the satisfaction is related to their transportation (say 9%).]
    Got it :idea: Thank you so much for your clear explanations, Suzi Br and PaulQ :D
     

    PureLand

    Senior Member
    Chinese
    A thought just occured to me. Would the statement be otherwise true if it was written as:

    According to research, visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation. ? :confused:

    Or could the statement be true only if it was written as:

    According to research, visitor satisfaction is related to their activities, and transport and accommodation. ? :confused:

    Thank you :)
     

    suzi br

    Senior Member
    English / England
    A thought just occured to me. Would the statement be otherwise true if it was written as:

    1. According to research, visitor satisfaction is related to their accommodation. ? :confused:

    Or could the statement be true only if it was written as:

    2. According to research, visitor satisfaction is related to their activities, and transport and accommodation. ? :confused:

    Thank you :)
    If you take the 26% bit out of the test sentence you lose the actual point.

    Looking at your two new suggestions:
    1. Is obviously false. Visitor satisfaction is mostly about their activities.

    2. It’s “true” but very broad, you have not really got a “fact” in there now.
     

    PureLand

    Senior Member
    Chinese
    If you take the 26% bit out of the test sentence you lose the actual point.

    Looking at your two new suggestions:
    1. Is obviously false. Visitor satisfaction is mostly about their activities.

    2. It’s “true” but very broad, you have not really got a “fact” in there now.
    I see :idea: Thank you so much for your great explanation, Suzi Br :D
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top