28 days after you are taken to have received this email

JBPARK

You must respond to this request within 28 days after you are taken to have received this email.

Hi,

Above is a line from an email I received today and I wonder that "are taken to" exactly mean here.
I only have the vague sense of what it means, with the word "taken" having been used to mean "considered" or "believed". Is it right?

Could anyone shed some more light on this phrase?

Last edited:
  • Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    It means that the twenty-eight day countdown starts at the presumed time of receipt of the email, i.e. from when it is assumed that you must have received it.

Copyright

American English
    I think Beryl's interpretation is correct, but it sounds odd to me as an AE speaker. Who or what is the source of the email?

The countdown would presumably begin when the email was sent, or no longer than the day after, since emails are generally considered to be nearly instantaneous.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Further clarification: They (the sender) assume a time at which you (the receiver) will have received the email - that is when the countdown begins.

n.b. Whether their assumption is reasonable is another matter.

EDIT: it sounds a little odd to me too. It reads like a legal hedge.

Last edited:

JBPARK

Thanks for the explanation.

FYI, the email was sent by a government-affiliated organization in Australia .

As far as it sounding odd, my guess is that they are being "extra" fastidious in their phrasing, given the kind of work they deal with (which I can't disclose), to nip any chance of kerfuffle that could arise from either deliberate or accidental misinterpretations in the bud.

< Previous | Next >