2K1 = 2001

MateuszMoś

Hello,

I have come across this sentence and in the explanation table I could read that 2K1 pertaining to 2001 year. How come? Could you please give me some information about the etymology of it?

It was rather romantic and naïve to think of 2K1 as a breakthrough.

• George French

English - UK
    Hello,

I have come across this sentence and in the explanation table I could read that 2K1 pertaining to 2001 year. How come? Could you please give me some information about the etymology of it?

It was rather romantic and naïve to think of 2K1 as a breakthrough.
    2k1 (k in lower case) in the right context can only mean 2001. It could be/is used.

In SI units k is 1000, so 2k1 is 2x1000+1 or 2001. Simple...

GF..

MateuszMoś

The context can be found in the sentence which I have written in the first post. I am familiarized with the game 2K1 but I have not even thought about the resemblances. I have encountered it when learning the words pertaining to CPE exam.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    While I've seen "2K" used outside the computer context ($2K, for example) I've never previously seen "2K1" used to mean the year 2001.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    If it's been used mainly in a sports context, George, that fully explains why I'm unfamiliar with it. :D
    That may be why Sega chose to use it as the title of their video basketball game. The current version is 2K11. They plan to release 2K12 next month, for the beginning of the 2011-2012 U.S. professional basketball season.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    I haven't come across 2k1/2K1 in relation to the year 2001. 2K was, however, extremely common in relation to the year 2000 and fears that that the world's computers were going to crash at the beginning of that year - see eg this Wiki article:
    The Year 2000 problem (also known as the Y2K problem, the Millennium bug, the Y2K bug, or simply Y2K) was a problem for both digital (computer-related) and non-digital documentation and data storage situations which resulted from the practice of abbreviating a four-digit year to two digits.
    Perhaps 2k1/2K1 is an extension of that.

It would help enormously to know more about Mateusz' context: "words pertaining to CPE exam" doesn't tell us enough, I'm afraid:(.

< Previous | Next >