2K2

< Previous | Next >

K'9999

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi.
I've seen "2K2" meaning 2002 (the year) in a fighting arcade game ad.

"Be the strongest, be the king: The King Of Fighters 2K2 (2002)".

What does "K" stand for?
I've seen it like 2K3 as well in a later ad.

Hope someone can help me out^^V
Thanks!

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    There was a big to-do just before 2000. The problem become known as Y2K:
    The Year 2000 problem (also known as the Y2K problem, the millennium bug, the Y2K bug, or simply Y2K) was a problem for both digital (computer-related) and non-digital documentation and data storage situations which resulted from the practice of abbreviating a four-digit year to two digits.
    See wiki here.

timpeac

English (England)
    K = Kilo ??????
    I would not think about that ever!!!
    Thank you very much Barsac and George French!!!
    "K" to represent a thousand is very common (in the UK at least). You might hear someone say "he earns 30k a year" (pronouncing the "k" as "kay").

Edit - that said, this usage looks odd to me. I'm not sure saying "Y2K" was too common in the UK - certainly in normal usage no one would say "2K2" for "2002".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    For some of us, especially those who spent that anxious evening sober and by the phone, Y2K was extremely familiar.
    2K2 is completely new to me, but at the right time and in the right context it would have been instantly recognisable.

timpeac

English (England)
    For some of us, especially those who spent that anxious evening sober and by the phone, Y2K was extremely familiar.
    2K2 is completely new to me, but at the right time and in the right context it would have been instantly recognisable.
    Fair enough - I suppose if you have reason to say it a lot it saves time over "the millennium bug"!:)

< Previous | Next >