2nd-p. o. büntetlek

angeloegabri

Italian
Good day to everyone :):)
Can anyone please explain to me what "2nd-p. o. büntetlek" means?
What does that "o." mean?
This now is for the verb büntetni, but it occurs for every Hungarian verb, so I think that that 2nd-person must have a particular use in Hungarian.
Thank you very much in advance :):)

• Panceltic

Slovenščina
    As mentioned above, it’s a special 2nd-person object form. Hungarian has a separate form (-lak/-lek) where the subject is 1st person and the object is 2nd person.

szeretni = to love

szeretek = I love ...

szeretlek = I love you

elfelejt = to forget

elfelejtettem = I forgot ...

elfelejtettelek = I forgot you

etc.

angeloegabri

Italian
    Oh thank you very much, numerator :):) and Panceltic :):) now the mistery is solved for me!
    (And I was completely wrong! I thought it were a special verb-2nd person plural ending!)
    So, instead, "lak/lek" is a suffix! It has nothing to do with what I thought! It's a suffix!
    (And I guess "o." means "object", or something like so.)
    Thank you both very, very much :):)

Panceltic

Slovenščina
    I wouldn’t say it’s a suffix, it is an ending (the -k signifies 1st person after all).

Last edited:

angeloegabri

Italian
    And now - numerator :):) and Panceltic :):) - I have a supplementary question :):)
    Is that "2nd-p. o." used also for a "plural you"?
    I mean: let's suppose that three friends of mine are staying behind a thick hedge, I could hear their voices but I couldn't see them because of the hedge; would that phrase be - more or less :):) - "Hallak [your voices] de nem látlak [you three] mert a vastag sövény"?

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Yes, it would be hallak téged (I can hear you - the person I'm talking to) or hallak titeket (same in English but the you is in the plural). The "l" indicates the second person (Sing. or Pl.) being the object of the action.
    It is only for the second person/s that we have this "trick" in the conjugation.

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I used the personal pronouns to make it clear that the verb forms are the same in the Sing. as well as in the Pl.
    Without any context, and in general, I would think it is safer to use the personal pronouns in either case.
    On the other hand, in angeloegabri's example (no.7), even if the objects are in the plural, it is not necessary to insert the "titeket" (because of the context), wouldn't you agree? ;)

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    On the other hand, in angeloegabri's example (no.7), even if the objects are in the plural, it is not necessary to insert the "titeket" (because of the context), wouldn't you agree? ;)
    No, sorry, I disagree.
    Regardless of the context, "titeket" is necessary if the object is plural.

Last edited:

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    AndrasBP: this is really strange. :confused:
    I agree it's strange that we disagree. :)

However, I've found that Szilvia Szita, author of books for learners of Hungarian, agrees with me.

(And I cannot find any justification for it linguistically, either.)
    I'm not sure what kind of "justification" you have in mind.
    Hungarian grammar is full of weird stuff we have no justification for. ;)