3-minute passion

< Previous | Next >

Johnny519

Mandarin
I have to admit this is a Chinese expression, it refers to a person who has a passion for doing(trying,learning) something new,but the passion can not last long.

For example, she wants to learn to play the piano, but I don’t think she will succeed because she is just a '3-minute passion' person.

I want to know if this is acceptable, or what do you say to describe such kind of person?

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    I like the expression and find it easy to understand, Johnny.

When I hear people express similar ideas over here, they use other phrases: She gets bored easily. She's too impatient/too flighty to play the piano. She can't stick with anything. None of these versions sounds as interesting as your expression, but they are common ways to express roughly the same idea.

dadane

English-London
    I would avoid the "three-minute" part, it has sexual connotations, especially if you combine it with "passion". ;)

I cannot immediately think of a perfect fit here. We can say that someone is in a 'passing phase'.

Johnny519

Mandarin
    There is an entry on urbandictionary.com, It seems that a lot of people accept it, though it’s not officially authoritative.

dadane

English-London
    That is a circular reference. The Urban Dictionary says:
    A Chinese saying which refers to a person having a limited passion or a passion that doesn't last long toward something/someone that he/she liked/loved/had passion about.

< Previous | Next >