3 types of sentences starting with 'what'

< Previous | Next >

cat2jackson

Russian
Hi Again!

Once, when writing a manual for an application, I wove a sentence 'What I do is create a new account and log in using it'. I should have been content with that. But my curious mind raised a question: Is that possible to write 'What I did is created a new account' or 'What he does is creates a new account' (the latter sounds terrible to me).

Thus, provided the first sentence is grammatically correct (confirm that pls), are the following two ones possible, and what is a normal replacement for such sentences so no meaning is lost?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• b1947420

British English
    1) I think that you should avoid the use of the verb "weave" in the context of writing a sentence unless you are setting the scene of some intrigue or something like that.
    Why not simply use the verb "write" or "construct"?

2) The first sentence "What I do is to create a new account and log in using it" is fine with a minor modification.

3) The second sentence should read "'What I did was (pause) create a new account'

4) The third sentence should read "'What he does is (pause) create a new account"

Note: I agree with Loob that the use of "to" in this case is not mandatory.
    The suggestion of a pause only applies to the spoken word ofcourse. ;)

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    My answer is slightly different from b1947420's:

What I do is create ...:tick:
    What I did was create ...:tick:
    What he does is create ...:tick:

I use the bare infinitive, not the to-infinitive, in all three cases.

cat2jackson

Russian
    Thanks a lot for casting light on this matter. These three variants sound very natural to me.

To be quite honest, I've come across the first type of sentence quite often, whereas the second two ones are faced more rarely, but still I was eager to have this all clarified.

Thanks!

< Previous | Next >