3 up 3 down (kickball or baseball)

Mossa

France French
Hi,

Could anyone tell me what it means when someone says "3 up 3 down" at kickball or baseball ?

Is it "we have three shots/attempts" ?

Thanks a lot

• Packard

USA, English
    It refers to the relative scores of the two teams.

In baseball, for example, if the New York Yankees had 7 runs in the game so far, and the Boston Red Sox had 4 runs, then New York would be "up by 3 [runs]"; Boston would be "down by 3 [runs]".

Myridon

English - US
    No, "3 up, 3 down" said as one phrase is not the score.
    Three players came up to bat and all three were put out so it is now the other team's turn.

Mossa

France French
    It refers to the relative scores of the two teams.

In baseball, for example, if the New York Yankees had 7 runs in the game so far, and the Boston Red Sox had 4 runs, then New York would be "up by 3 [runs]"; Boston would be "down by 3 [runs]".
    Thanks but I don't understand.

In this case (this is kickball) it's a tie 0-0 after team A who was kicking didn't win the point because their kicker stopped at a base where a player from B already was with the ball.
    Team A is now pitching and one of their player says "let's go team! 3 up 3 down".

kalamazoo

US, English
    To add to Myridon's comment, in baseball, only one team bats at a time. After three players on that team are put out, then the teams change places and the other team bats.

Mossa

France French
    No, "3 up, 3 down" said as one phrase is not the score.
    Three players came up to bat and all three were put out so it is now the other team's turn.
    Thanks a lot. Please see my comment above for more information.
    The guy who says "let's go team. 3 up 3 down" is from the team who is about to pitch, but I'm not sure if he says "3 up 3 down" to the other team or to his.

Myridon

English - US
    He's encouraging his team to put 3 of the other team's batters out in a row so it will be his team's turn to bat again.
    To mean a similar thing, he could say:
    "Let's go, team! Don't let them get on base!"
    or
    "Let's go, team! Don't let them get a hit!"

Mossa

France French
    He's encouraging his team to put 3 of the other team's batters out in a row so it will be his team's turn to bat again.
    To mean a similar thing, he could say:
    "Let's go, team! Don't let them get on base!"
    or
    "Let's go, team! Don't let them get a hit!"
    Thanks a lot, that's great help! :)

< Previous | Next >