3 word phrasal verbs

Vainilla student

Spanish-Spain
Good morning/afternoon/night,

I'm having some trouble with an exercise which appears in my English book, I need to use three word phrasal verbs but I'm stuck. My only guess is "put up with" but I'm not sure it sounds right...

Sentence 1: We must face up to the fact that our trip cant be Answer a visit to your parents. It's either one or the other.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Vainilla (confused student) :D

• acme_54

English UK
    "Put up with" is fine, and you might think about using "get rid of" as well, which is quite common. It would be interesting to know if the exercise refers exclusively to inseparable phrasal verbs or not.
    NB: I ran a quick Google search for "list of 3-word phrasal verbs" and, among other things,found this: Three word phrasal verbs

Vainilla student

Spanish-Spain
    "Put up with" is fine, and you might think about using "get rid of" as well, which is quite common. It would be interesting to know if the exercise refers exclusively to inseparable phrasal verbs or not.
    Okay, thanks! It refers to inseparable verbs. Could it also be: We must face up to the fact that our trip cant be "tied in with" a visit to your parents?

acme_54

English UK
    Grammatically, the sentence is correct. To contextualise it, I have to imagine a situation something like a school trip where some of the students would like to take advantage of it to visit their parents, but will not be allowed to do so.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    How do 'put up with or 'get rid of' make sense in this sentence? :confused:
    What is the exercise? To add a verb where you have typed 'answer' or to replace 'face up to?

Last edited:

acme_54

English UK
    How do 'put up with or 'get rid of' make sense in this sentence? :confused:
    What is the exercise? To add a verb where you have typed 'answer' or to replace 'face up to?
    It's not clear from your post if you are addressing your comment to me, but let's assume it is. I didn't propose these two 3-word phrasals as an answer to the specific question posted by the asker, but rather as samples of the same (which is what I assumed the asker was looking for, so that they could then take their pick from any that appeared suitable from the list). That's also why I posted the same link as Dosamuno to the website with a list of them. I don't come to this site to do peoples homework for them, simply to give pointers or lend a hand.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    There's no problem with helping the poster with the right answer, so long as he offers a first attempt.
    I think we have different views about what the purpose of the question is. Until Vainilla student comes back to clarify the issue, we are going to remain in the dark.

Dosamuno

English, USA
    It's not clear from your post if you are addressing your comment to me, but let's assume it is. I didn't propose these two 3-word phrasals as an answer to the specific question posted by the asker, but rather as samples of the same (which is what I assumed the asker was looking for, so that they could then take their pick from any that appeared suitable from the list). That's also why I posted the same link as Dosamuno to the website with a list of them. I don't come to this site to do peoples homework for them, simply to give pointers or lend a hand.
    Sorry acme_54--I didn't realize you had posted the same link.

< Previous | Next >