3000-fold of the minimum wage

AniwaR

Armenian - Armenia
Hello! I am now revising an Armenian to English translation, and there is a phrase there similar to the following one:

A penalty may be imposed in the amount of 3000-fold of the minimum wage.
My question is, does this 'in the amount of X-fold of something' expression sound natural to you (native speakers)? :) Because it sounds a bit weird to me. I would prefer saying 'A penalty equal to 3000 times the minimum wage may be imposed.' But I don't want to make unnecessary changes in the text... So, I'd appreciate your opinion, thank you!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, that's definitely not English. Get rid of 'fold' altogether. 'To the amount of 3000 times the minimum wage' is the least change that would work. (I don't like 'in the amount' either.)

"In the amount of" is part of the vernacular of the world of finance, as is "to the amount of" and "for the amount of".
    Expressions using "fold", such as "a one thousand fold increase" (sometimes hyphenated, but not consistently) are English and make sense. Whether you choose to use the "fold" expressions or the "times" expressions is a matter more of style than anything else.

AniwaR

Armenian - Armenia
    Thank you, entangledbank.

johngiovanni,

So basically, do you think the entire expression 'in the amount of 3000-fold of the minimum wage' is okay?

Kirill V.

Russian
    I wonder whether in the amount and to the amount can have different meanings here? (Just to be on the safe side with these legal things)

In the amount = exactly 3000 times minimum wage
    to the amount = up to 3000 times minimum wage

I may be wrong, just wanted to warn just in case

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Thank you, entangledbank.

So basically, do you think the entire expression 'in the amount of 3000-fold of the minimum wage' is okay?
    One problem. None of us know the amount of money this represents. Minimum wage is not an amount of money, it is a rate of pay.

One hour's worth of minimum wage (in CA) is $15.00
    The minimum wage for one standard 8-hour day is $120.00 (actually less: taxes must be withheld).
    For a 40-hour week (many people work less) minimum wage is $600, minus taxes. For a month, bout 2500. For a year, about 30,000.

So your penalty is 3,000 times "the minimum pay for a certain number of hours/days/weeks/months". How long?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A penalty may be imposed in the amount of 3000-fold of the minimum wage.:cross:
    A penalty of 3000 times the minimum wage may be imposed. :tick:

e2efour

UK English
    "X-fold of" is just a nonsense expression.
    What evidence is there that you could say She earns twofold of his salary when you mean twice his salary or double his salary?

As for in the amount of, it is a standard expression, as pointed out in #3.

Last edited:

AniwaR

Armenian - Armenia
    dojibear,

That's irrelevant, because the phrase is out of its context: it concerns only the Armenian law where for the purpose of calculating penalties 'the minimum wage' is regarded as a defined, fixed amount.

Thank you all for your opinions!

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    That's irrelevant, because the phrase is out of its context: it concerns only the Armenian law where for the purpose of calculating penalties 'the minimum wage' is regarded as a defined, fixed amount.
    Yes, it is irrelevant, if you use the Armenian word for it. But it is relevant if you are trying to translate it into English.

In English we use "minimum hourly wage" and "hourly minimum wage" for the defined, fixed amount you are talking about.

In casual conversation this is sometimes shortened to "minimum wage", but it shouldn't be shortened in a document.

ewie

English English
    I completely agree with you, Doji: I wouldn't have a clue what 3,000 times the minimum wage (on its own) meant ~ it's like saying You need a piece of rope 13 units long (on its own):cool:

e2efour

UK English
    I have no difficulty in understand "X times the minimum wage".
    It is a standard expression, as has been pointed out by PaulQ, and in the UK is an hourly rate.

But let's see what the White House website says about it:
    "At the federal level, the Obama Administration has expressed support for the Raise the Wage Act proposed by Senator Murray and Representative Scott, which would increase the minimum wage to $12 by 2020".

I do not see the word per hour here. :)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Last edited:

AniwaR

Armenian - Armenia
    No, it is still irrelevant, because my task is to translate a given text, not to do a lawyer's job for him/her. So, if an English lawyer (or whoever) wants to know how much exactly 3000 times the minimum wage is, he/she would have to find out what they mean by saying "minimum wage" IN ARMENIA. And just in case anyone's interested, there's an act of the Armenian Parliament which defines that for the purpose of calculating fines and penalties the minimum wage must be read as "1,000 AMD". So, yes, here it is basically just a conventional unit and has nothing to do with the actual money people receive for their job.

< Previous | Next >