37 <runs> of 21 short courses

< Previous | Next >

Jin akashini

vietnamese
Hello,

I want to ask you meaning of the phrase "runs of" in this sentence:

In 2010, a total of 37 runs of 21 short courses and 48 runs of 18 Workforce Skills Qualification System (WSQ) courses were conducted through the Polytechnic’s Continuing Education and Training (CET) Academy.'

This sentence is taken from my document so sorry for not having link.

Many thanks,

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I understand it as the number of times they were conducted/repetitions. The 21 different short courses were conducted a total of 37 times, while the 18 WSQ courses were conducted 48 times.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Let's suppose that a short course lasts just a few weeks. In 2010 there were 21 of these short courses. Some of them were offered only once in the year, but ten were offered twice and three were offered three times in the year. So that makes 21+10+3+3 = 37. I agree with London Calling and Barque that series or repetitions might be a better choice of word.

Jin akashini

vietnamese
    Let's suppose that a short course lasts just a few weeks. In 2010 there were 21 of these short courses. Some of them were offered only once in the year, but ten were offered twice and three were offered three times in the year. So that makes 21+10+3+3 = 37. I agree with London Calling and Barque that series or repetitions might be a better choice of word.
    Hi Keith, thanks for your comment. I understand word of series and repetitions but I don't understand your calculation like:

"Some of them were offered only once in the year, but ten were offered twice and three were offered three times in the year. So that makes 21+10+3+3 = 37"

I don't understand "but ten were offered twice"..if ten courses were conducted twice, it must be "21+10x2+3+3 = 47" ???, not "21+10+3+3 = 37"

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    The 21 includes the first offering of the ten that were offered twice, and the first offering of the three that were offered three times.

21 (one each of the 21 courses) + 10 (the ten that were offered twice - second series) + 3 (the three that were offered three times - second series) + 3 (the three that were offered three times - third series) = 37.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ...I don't understand "but ten were offered twice"..if ten courses were conducted twice, it must be "21+10x2+3+3 = 47" ???, not "21+10+3+3 = 37"
    Yes, it's complicated. It took me a couple of attempts to work it out too!

Barque has explained it correctly in #8:
    • 21 = every course the first time
    • 10+3 = thirteen courses for a second time
    • 3 = three courses for a third time.
    Of course, this is just my imagined sequence. There are scores of other possible combinations, from:
    • 16 = sixteen courses repeated once only
    up to and including:
    • 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = one single course repeated another sixteen times.

< Previous | Next >