3arfa el moshkela en ana 3esht fe florida keteer

< Previous | Next >

dyrina

Russian
Could anyone please help me translate from Arabic into English a couple of sentences?

3arfa el moshkela en ana 3esht fe florida keteer awey we 3reft hispanics keteer awey, ana mabatkalemsh aspany bas bafhamo ya3abeeta.

Please?

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    could anyone please help me translate from arabic into english a couple of sentences?

3arfa el moshkela en ana 3esht fe florida keteer awey we 3reft hispanics keteer awey, ana mabatkalemsh aspany bas bafhamo ya3abeeta.

please?
    Welcome to the forum :)

This is in colloquial Arabic (most probably Egyptian). It's says:
    You know, the problem/point is that I lived in Florida for a very long time and knew so many Hispanics. I don't speak Spanish but I understand it, idiot (Idiot is not an insult here, but I can't think of a proper equivalent now).

xebonyx

TR/AR/EN
    I just searched for it, and apparently the equivalent is "silly". So basically it's saying: "But I understand it, silly". Which would make sense because it's not demeaning,rather pointing out the person's lack of understanding.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    No, in Egypt, a person with a دم تقيل is not silly, but disagreable, very boring...
    By silly, I think of someone who thinks in a silly way, which is the main meaning of 3abiiT.

Haroon

Arabic-Egypt
    No, in Egypt, a person with a دم تقيل is not silly, but disagreable, very boring...
    By silly, I think of someone who thinks in a silly way, which is the main meaning of 3abiiT.
    Ok , but I think that silly also is for : سخيف or بايخ a meaning which is not in agreement with the word عبيط

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    As someone who is bilingual in Arabic and English, I think "silly" is an excellent translation! It expresses just the right connotation and is frequently tagged onto the end of a sentence in a jocular kind of way, as in this example.

You would not say "But I understand it, simple-minded." :cross: In fact, there are only a few adjectives that you can use that way - most adjectives require a following noun. Furthermore, "simple-minded" is a lot more insulting than "silly," and عبيطة is not used in an insulting manner in this context.

I'm not saying the word "silly" doesn't have other meanings and uses (although I have to say that بايخ and سخيف seem to be too strong), but it works in this context. "But I understand it, silly" is a very natural-sounding sentence that is not offensive when used between friends to mean "But of course I understand it."

I get the feeling, Haroon, that you think "silly" is a very negative word, but it's not. I can't imagine too many situations in which I'd be profoundly offended if somebody called me or something I did or said "silly."

Haroon

Arabic-Egypt
    Thank you for that explanation.However , I could not get that a person comments on his/her friend's remark with the word silly . The case is the same as :when a father/mother comments on their child's word or behaviour , I don't think that this word is used !!The word idiot may be right ,then.Waiting for a reply :

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Both "silly" and "idiot" can be used, but "idiot" is insulting while "silly" is usually light and humorous.

Here's an example:

You don't like black clothes. I'm at the store with you, and I see you looking at some black shirts. I can say:

"But you don't like black clothes, silly." (This is a light and humorous remark. It is not insulting. It's basically saying, "What are you doing looking at black clothes? How odd. You don't like black clothes. What gives?")

"But you don't like black clothes, idiot." (This is insulting. It's saying, "Are you stupid or color-blind or something? Those are black clothes, and you don't like them. I can't believe I'm shopping with such a dimwit.")

As for whether a parent would call his child "silly" or "idiot," it would depend on the child's behavior. If a baby were blowing spit bubbles at the kitchen table, the parent might playfully say "You're silly" (said in that singsong tone of voice many parents use to speak to their little children). "Idiot" is a word I think no parent should ever use with a small child, no matter how idiotic the behavior appeared to be! You would call someone an idiot if he did something that in your judgment demonstrates a lack of intelligence or common sense.

Haroon

Arabic-Egypt
    Thanks , again.
    It may be the influence of the American Movies in which the actors say the word " silly " ; stressed ,and a semi-furious manner !! A way that made me feel that this word is not used in a friendly manner.

< Previous | Next >