4 months ago or before or earlier

< Previous | Next >

amby

Banned
chinese

I found the following sentence on Google and my question is if I replace earlier with before or ago. Or, is ' earlier' appropriate in the sentence?
I ran into my ex boyfriend that completely broke my heart 4 months earlier with another girl in the mall.

My suggestions:

I ran into my ex boyfriend that completely had broken my heart 4 months before with another girl in the mall.
I ran into my ex boyfriend that completely broke my hear 4 months ago with another girl in the mall.

• &ee

English - British
    ago specifically refers to a point in time relative to the present. So, earlier or previously would be needed if the entire context were in the past, which is implied by had broken as opposed to simply broke.

For example:

Last year I ran into my ex boyfriend that completely had broken my heart 4 months earlier/previously...
    This morning I ran into my ex boyfriend that completely broke my heart 4 months ago...

Other suggestions:

boyfriend who instead of that - we are talking about a person.
    had completely broken
    , not completely had broken.
    Is in the mall where you ran into your ex, or where he broke your heart? I imagine the former, but your sentence indicates the latter. So, consider something like:
    In the mall, I ran into...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >