40% ... <dine> in fast food restaurants every day

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hello everyone

Does "dine in" only go together with fine restaurants? can I use it with fast food restaurants?

40% of the Chinese dine in fast food restaurants every day.

Many many thanks

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Dine" does suggest something rather more formal/substantial than "eat" (you can only use it for a main meal, for example, not a snack), but I don't see why you cannot say "dine in fast food restaurants ".

Loob

English UK
    I wouldn't use "dine" for a fast food restaurant: it sounds incongruous to me.

I would simply say "eat".

lingobingo

English - England
    Since you’re asking about the verb phrase “dine in”, I assumed you were talking about “dining in” (staying home to eat) as opposed to “eating out” (in a restaurant)?

kentix

English - U.S.
    If this is what you mean, and the only way I can understand the sentence as written, then I think it's fine. It may not be "fine dining", but it's dining.

40% of the Chinese dine in fast food restaurants every day.

If you are contrasting dine in versus dine out then you need a different sentence.

dine - to eat a meal, esp. the principal meal of the day; have dinner

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    From the example sentence the OP gave, it is clear that the question is not about the phrasal verb "dine in", but about the use where "in" is a preposition.
    Interestingly, though, the phrasal "dine in" doesn't always mean "staying home to eat", but can also be applied to restaurants that offer the choice between eating on the premises and a carry-out option.
    In some chip shops they have a few tables and chairs available, and when you place your order at the counter, they might ask you "Is it to eat in or take away?".

Personally, I wouldn't use "dine" for this. The term seems to require a certain modicum of salubriousness.
    I would "dine" in a slow-food restaurant, but "eat" in a fast-food restaurant. Indeed, I'm not even sure that a fast-food place deserves to be called a "restaurant"!

< Previous | Next >