portuguese
Hello!

In the movie Twin Peaks, agent Desmond takes a sip of coffee and says:

"This stuff's got the sting of the forty eight hour blend"

What does that mean?

Thank you!

• owlman5

English-US
    It should mean that the coffee has been sitting on a burner for 48 hours. This coffee would be bitter and practically undrinkable to people who really like coffee.

"Blend" is a normal term for blended coffee. In your example, "48-hour blend" is a joke.

fexga

portuguese
    It should mean that the coffee has been sitting on a burner for 48 hours. This coffee would be bitter and practically undrinkable to people who really like coffee.

"Blend" is a normal term for blended coffee. In your example, "48-hour blend" is a joke.
    Even if the dialogue that follows that sentence is:

(guy who made the coffee)-That's right. That's the best coffee you're gonna get anywhere.
    (another FBI agent) -We sure need a good wake-me-up, right, agent Desmond?

Maybe they are being ironic?

thanks!

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    (guy who made de coffee)-That's right. That's the best coffee you're gonna get anywhere.
    (another FBI aget) -We sure need a good wake-me-up, right, agente Desmond?
    They are being ironic, fexga. If this is the coffee that somebody made in a police station or an FBI office, the chances of it being undrinkable are very high. Typically, somebody makes a pot of coffee in the morning. It sits on the burner for hours and turns into a sour, black mess.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It seems that 48 hours is the optimum time you should let the coffee beans rest after roasting, to let the flavour develop. Or so some guy on the Internet says:

How long to let beans rest before brewing?
    http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1938

Forum-member tucker85 says that some coffees are much better after a rest period:
    My standard rest period is 48 hours. I also go by fragrance. Immediately after roasting the beans don't have much coffee fragrance. After about 24 hours it will start to smell like coffee.

owlman5

English-US
    Why would some cop use "the sting of the 48-hour blend"? That sounds like irony to me rather than a appreciative comment about a fine cup of coffee. I don't want to drink any coffee that "stings" my throat or my tongue.

Of course, it's often hard to guess what some screenwriter had in mind when he or she came up with a snippet of speech to be used in a dialog. Audience members would probably rely on visual cues (perhaps an expression of disgust on some actor's face) to guide their interpretation of the remark.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It doesn't have to mean that the coffee has been prepared so carefully, just that it tastes as though it has.

fexga

portuguese
    I was in doubt if it was irony or not because of what velisarius said. I read articles about 48 hours being the optimum time you should let the coffee beans rest after roasting.
    Just one clarification: the guy who made the coffee is the manager of a trailer park.

The scene goes like this:

Two FBI agents are in a trailer park doing some investigation. The trailer park manager offers them coffee. Both of them accept a cup of coffee.

Agent 1 says "Thank you", takes a sip and then coughs. [he could've coughed because it's strong or because it tastes bad, it's hard to tell]
    After that, agent 2 takes a sip and says: "You were'nt kidding, man. This stuff's got the sting of the forty-eight-hour blend!"
    They all laugh.
    Trailer park manager: "That's right. lt's the best goddamn coffee you're gonna get around here!"
    agent 1: "We really do need a good "wake me up", don't we, Agent Desmond?"
    agent 2: "Yeah, we do, Sam".

And then there's a cut.

Does that change anyone's opinion? I am thinking that maybe he says "This stuff's got the sting of the forty-eight-hour blend" as a compliment because of the trailer park manager response: "That's right. lt's the best goddamn coffee you're gonna get around here!"

But most of all, because I am translating the movie, I need to know what 48-hour blend means... Is it a coffee two days old or a coffee that rested 48 hours after roasting, which would mean it's good coffee? (or maybe something else!)

(He's probably being ironic. But is he being ironic saying: "Your coffee is good!" ou "Your coffee tastes like it's sitting 2 days in the burner!")

Thanks again!

owlman5

English-US
    It definitely sounds like an insult, not a compliment, to me. Trailer-park managers aren't typically associated with fine coffee. "Sting" is not a complimentary word in talk about coffee. It means that the coffee tastes acidic and harsh, like coffee that has been on a burner for 48 hours.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Having read the added context, I agree completely with owlman.

(I had in mind other scenes where the Kyle MacLachlan character is savouring his coffee and slice of cherry pie.)

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    It clearly has nothing to do with the roasting of the beans. And while I'm inclined to think that Owlman is right, here's another idea: it may be coffee so strong that it is designed (figuratively) to keep you awake for 48 hours. If the remark is about the strength of the coffee, then that helps explain the subsequent statement that it would "really" provide "a good 'wake me up'."

< Previous | Next >