4th of July greeting?

heypresto

English - England
What is the standard greeting in the US, if there is a standard greeting, on the 4th of July?

'Happy Fourth of July'? 'Happy Fourth'?

Or do you not make a 'thing' of it?

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    What is the standard greeting in the US, if there is a standard greeting, on the 4th of July?

'Happy Fourth of July'? 'Happy Fourth'?
    Actually, we say "Merry Fourth of July."

I'm just kidding. Yes, either of your versions would be a normal thing to say.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Merry Christmas is a standard greeting used over and over. Happy Fourth of July is not like that. You might say it to someone but it's not traditional (in a set way) like Merry Christmas or Happy New Year.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's fine to say. It's just not said by force of habit nearly to the extent of those other two I mentioned.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree that we don't have a fixed greeting. When I mention the holiday, I usually say "Have a nice 4th of July," referring to the celebration. You would usually say this to your co-workers when you leave work, and to other people you meet. (The celebration traditionally consists of a barbecue with family and friends, and public fireworks in the evening.)

The Vietnamese who operate my local doughnut shop were wishing each of their customers a "Happy 4th of July!" It sounded odd, but friendly. :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Report and retraction: :oops:

The host of the US radio show I've been listening to closed out her show by wishing us a "Happy 4th of July!" :D

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    The whole purpose of the 4th of July is to keep the 3d of July and the 5th of July separated.

I occasionally wish someone a "Happy Independence Day."

< Previous | Next >