Ljubodrag Gráthas

Serbia Serbian (native), English, Irish (Gaeilge)
Number 5, cinq, how is it pronounced when following a noun, with /k/ or not, or both are allowed? Which one is more used? Five away, when ready!

• LV4-26

Ljubodrag Gráthas said:
    Number 5, cinq, how is it pronounced when following a noun, with /k/ or not, or both are allowed? Which one is more used? Five away, when ready!
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you really mean "following a noun" or is it rather "preceding a noun" ?
    Anyway, I think you always pronounce it with a /k/ at the end, except when it precedes another figure, as in :
    cinq-cent, cinq mille...

fetchezlavache

france
    here it is, when it's following a noun :

if you want to say 35, trente-cinq, for instance, it depends.

if you say 'j'ai 35 ans' it's obvious that the 'k' will be pronounced for liaison reasons.

if you say 'ça coûte 35 dollars' you don't pronounce the 'k'

Ljubodrag Gráthas

Serbia Serbian (native), English, Irish (Gaeilge)
    LV4-26 said:
    :confused: :confused: :confused: First Ljubodrag Grathas then fetchezlavache. Have I been teleported to the Twilight Zone ?:D

And of course, "trente cin(q) dollars", amnesic me!
    No, you haven't. Such an IDIOTIC mistake on my behalf. And what's even worse I even thought what I wrote. Of course, I ment (in some dark corner of my mind) preceding the noun. My grammar says that /k/ is not pronounced when the following noun starts in consonant, but that more and more people are doing so and they gave the example cinq livres with two ways of pronouncing, with /k/ and without. Is it optional, or would you sound strange to the native ear sometimes? (well, I would most of the times, but that's beside the point)

LV4-26

Ljubodrag Gráthas said:
    they gave the example cinq livres with two ways of pronouncing, with /k/ and without. Is it optional, or would you sound strange to the native ear sometimes? (well, I would most of the times, but that's beside the point)
    I can't think of other examples but
    Trente-cinq dollars definitely without the /k/ as said by fetechezlavache
    Cinq livres or cinq dollars: I would personally pronounce the /k/. I believe it's the most common way of saying it. Without the /k/ doesn't sound that weird, though (and obviously abides by the rule you've mentionned).

When a pronounciation rule is no longer respected I guess it's often an uncounscious attempt to avoid ambiguity (here between "cinq" and "saint" or "sein")
    In "trente-cinq dollars" the confusion with "saint" is impossible.

Well, this is only an interpretation from my part of course.

< Previous | Next >