5'5" [saying height]

sb70012

You have to be over 5'5 to qualify as a policeman.

Hi,
The above sentence is taken from a text book. It doesn't have more context. It just teaches sentence construction.

How does the blue part read? Is it five point five?

Thank you.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    That's the only standard way it's written in the U.S.

5'5" or 5' 5"

When you say it, sometimes you can use feet and sometimes foot.

I might say:
    I'm five foot eleven.
    - or -
    I'm five feet eleven inches tall.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Verbally, it is often abbreviated to "I am five five".
    Carpenter on the roof, calling down to his helper ion the ground: Cut me a one by two, two six and five eighths.

Note that the single quote (') is also used for minutes, and the double quote (") for seconds when dealing with time.
    In 1954, Roger Bannister ran a mile in 3'59.4".

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    This
    Note that the single quote (') is also used for minutes, and the double quote (") for seconds when dealing with time.
    This would be much more impressive if Bannister had run the mile in 3 feet, 59.4 inches. Sort of like Han Solo doing the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Verbally, it is often abbreviated to "I am five five".
    Carpenter on the roof, calling down to his helper ion the ground: Cut me a one by two, two six and five eighths.

Yes, in informal speech, it's often 'five five', more formally 'five foot five' and even more formally 'five feet five inches'.

We should properly be using the prime and double prime symbols (5′ 5″) which have a slant inwards. The apostrophe or single/double quotation mark has been used because the prime symbol is more difficult to get at on the computer.

See this thread: Abbreviating Imperial measurements (Inches, Feet, etc. - the symbol prime)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    5' 5" gives the measurement in feet and inches: The first 5' is 5 feet. The second 5" is 5 inches.
    (See post #4 above.) The single and double quotations are necessary. Don't leave them out.

Giving the equivalent in centimeters is a math problem, and outside the scope of our forum.