6" CRA Clad Line pipe

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Andrew1980, Jan 4, 2012.

  1. Andrew1980

    Andrew1980 Senior Member


    I am translating a text given by translation agency where I' ve met this expression or rather description of a pipe to be supplied for oil and gas field development:

    "6" CRA Clad Line pipe"

    So I wonder whether this means a pipe covered (clad) with corrosion-resistant alloy or I can translate it just as stainless steel pipe.
  2. st r Member

    When I had similar assignments, I had to check with experts in the particular subject.

    For instance, "O rings" could have been translated, but Italian technicians expected to see it in English because they are used to it, not to the translation. I think it is the same for the wording alternative that you suggest (apart from the possible different meaning, about which I am not qualified to give a judgement).
  3. Andrew1980

    Andrew1980 Senior Member

    I know but the translation must be done in Russian so I doubt that they are used to it as designations in Russia and CIS states are quite different from those accepted in Europe and USA, I suppose
  4. airportzombie

    airportzombie Senior Member

    English - CaE/AmE
    According to this website, corrosion resistant alloy (CRA) is a mixture of "various metals such as stainless steel, chrome, nickel, iron, copper, cobalt, molybdenum, tungsten and/or titanium," so it can't be strictly a stainless steel pipe. Another website also makes a difference between CRA-clad and CRA-lined pipes, depending on the method of application. I would suggest a more technical translation forum for specialized terminology to help you with the translation (we wouldn't want another BP incident, would we?).
  5. Andrew1980

    Andrew1980 Senior Member

    Yep, thanks
  6. st r Member

    It was an example, intended to show how - once you have got the correct meaning - you should probably use the form that people expect to see. In my case it was "O rings" and others, in yours it is the description of the pipes. By the way, it is not necessarily a matter of translation: there may be regulations requiring specific wordings, like "flame resistant" and "flame retardant".

    By the way, I don't think that stainless steel is clad with corrosion-resistant alloys. I think it is a homogeneous material (an alloy itself, with relatively high percentage of chromium).

Share This Page