70 floors over nothing but air

Dear life

India- Bengali
Here's a scrap of dialogue from the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith and below is the source too.
Jane: First and last warning, John.
Get out of town.
John: You know I'm not going anywhere.
Jane: Well, so you say. But right now, you're trapped in a steel box
hanging 70 floors over nothing but air.
John: Oh, so this is a trap?

Read more: Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) Movie Script | SS

My question regards the bold part of the dialogue. I guess, it should have been 'hanging 70 floors over/ above the ground in nothing but air'. If I'm right, are these words I add just dropped? I don't quite get it.
And also, I guess, 'above' works better than 'over' here.
Please let me know if my assumptions are correct.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    70 floors here is a measure of vertical distance - say 200m. You are in a box suspended over 200m of air - you are 200m above a solid surface.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The sentence makes sense the way it is written, in English. I agree it is a little awkward, but the meaning is clear. I do not think any words have been dropped.

You can certainly re-write it, but re-writing may change the meaning. You may be talking about the same set of facts, but saying something different about them. For example, she does not say "70 stories above the ground".

Instead she says "hanging over air", which says what is under the box. She may be just as high (off the ground) but have a building's floor under her instead of air (be safe).

Also 70 stories of air means 70 stories to the nearest solid object below you (as #2 points out). That solid object may be the roof of a building, 20 stories above the ground. She does not say anything about "height above ground".

Dear life

India- Bengali
    Thanks to both of you...:)
    Also 70 stories of air means 70 stories to the nearest solid object below you (as #2 points out). That solid object may be the roof of a building, 20 stories above the ground. She does not say anything about "height above ground".
    You mean to say 70 stories above the roof ( that is 50 stories above the ground)?

Dear life

India- Bengali
    Thanks again
    70 stories above the roof would be 90 stories above the ground.
    Yeah...I got a bit puzzled :confused:
    Could you please explain what the bold part means?:)

< Previous | Next >