74 African-American former ZYX's employees - word order

< Previous | Next >

Leafka

Polish
Hi,

I'm writing about a company, XYZ, which was called ZYX some time ago and which now agreed to settle a discrimination lawsuit:

XYZ agreed to pay USD 4 million to a group of 74 African-American former ZYX's employees.

Is the part in bold correct, or maybe the word order should be different?

• Leafka

Polish
    suzi br, I want to inform people / institutions investing in the company about the incident.

se16teddy, they are former because the facility where they worked no longer exists.

Should it be:

XYZ agreed to pay USD 4 million to a group of 74 African-American former employees of ZYX?

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    suzi br, I want to inform people / institutions investing in the company about the incident.
    I am sorry, but this is still too vague.
    What sort of people and in what capacity are you informing them? Are they the general public, former employees themselves, shareholders? Are you writing for a formal, legal context or is it journalistic, a blog, something else? I suspect that in a case like this the context for your writing makes a big difference to what they might know/need.

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    I'm not sure that how/why/to whom the report is being written is that important. It's a question of grammar regardless.

74 African-American former-ZYX
    employees is one way of expressing it. You don't use the apostrophe. You could avoid the double compound by writing 74 African-Americans, former ZYX employees. Again no apostrophe.

suzi br

English / England
    I ask for context because context is always important. In this case it might help to define the level of knowledge of the readership and in particular the level of understanding about what the word former is modifying in the complex relationships this sentence is referring to.

< Previous | Next >