• WARNING: The forums will be closed for maintenance for 60-90 minutes starting at 10:30 am US Eastern Time (GMT -5, 2:30 pm in most of Europe).

90% of people move between devices to accomplish things

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The context from HOW RETAILERS ARE USING MOBILE TO FUEL YOUR SHOPPING ADDICTION

E-commerce site of all kinds have a new focus: mobile. One need only look at a few stats to see why. For instance, according to a report by Mobify, mobile web adoption is growing eight times faster than web adoption did in the 1990s; mobile traffic now accounts for 15% of all web traffic; 90% of people move between devices to accomplish things; U.S. mobile commerce sales hit $24.66 billion in 2012, up 81% from 2011; and 58% of consumers in North America now own a smartphone. Mobile commerce has become especially important for fashion retailers.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand "90% of people move between devices to accomplish things" here. Does it mean "90% of people do e-commerce" ?

Last edited:
  • Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Thank you both for your explanation. :D

Explanation for edition: I've changed my mind before receiving replies. So I edited "90% of people use smartphones to do e-commerce" into "90% of people do e-commerce". That's why there is a indication of "last edited: .... ago " right below. Sorry for any inconvenience. :D

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    There is nothing in the source quoted to suggest that "90% of [all] people do e-commerce".

"90% of people [who do e-commerce] move between [mobile and other] devices..."

Myridon

English - US
    I don't quite understand "90% of people move between devices to accomplish things" here.
    It seems to say to me that people use 2 (or more) devices to make one purchase. I think they mean that people make some of their purchases on one device and some on another.

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    It seems to say to me that people use 2 (or more) devices to make one purchase. I think they mean that people make some of their purchases on one device and some on another.
    I took it to mean that people browse on mobile devices but use more secure devices at home to make the purchase.
    I would not trust my bank details to a device I could lose.

Juhasz

English - United States
    To my ear, "90% of people move between devices to accomplish things" says nothing at all about e-commerce. The preceding phrase tells us that mobile traffic accounts for 15% of all web-traffic (also saying nothing about commerce); then we're told that 90% of people use both mobile and non-mobile devices to do whatever they do.

The phrase to me seems incredibly vague and certainly inaccurate. Ericsson, the Swedish telecom corporation, estimates that in 2014, there were 2.6 billion smartphone users worldwide and that that number will reach 6.1 billion by 2020 - meaning that in 2020, 70% of the world's population will own a smart phone. So how do 90% of people switch between mobile and non-mobile devices?

Myridon

English - US
    I took it to mean that people browse on mobile devices but use more secure devices at home to make the purchase.
    I would not trust my bank details to a device I could lose.
    I very seriously doubt that even 10% of people are that careful. ;)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    To my ear, "90% of people move between devices to accomplish things" says nothing at all about e-commerce. The preceding phrase tells us that mobile traffic accounts for 15% of all web-traffic (also saying nothing about commerce); then we're told that 90% of people use both mobile and non-mobile devices to do whatever they do.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: I agree.
    So how do 90% of people switch between mobile and non-mobile devices?
    It doesn't say that. They could be switching between two or more non-mobile devices. For example, a desktop computer at work and one at home.

< Previous | Next >