93 said nine-three

tilt

French French
Hello world,

I've heard on television, an American man who said "nine-three floors" to mean "93 floors".
Is this way of saying numbers something common in American English? And in British English?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • pops91710

English, AE
    The only way I would say it that way is if I was having transmission problems on my cell phone or two-way radio and I wanted to make myself clearly understood.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    This is non-standard in both BE and AE. Who was the man who said it? (Can we hear him?) Is it possible that you misheard? In some accents 'ninety three' could sound quite similar to 'nine three'.

tilt

French French
    This is non-standard in both BE and AE. Who was the man who said it? (Can we hear him?) Is it possible that you misheard? In some accents 'ninety three' could sound quite similar to 'nine three'.
    Yes, I thought of this, but I'm fairly sure he said nine-three. I haven't got the feeling he had any strong accent.

This man is an old man whose son died in the World Trade Center. His voice was covered by a French translation, but I clearly heard the end of the sentence. Speaking about 11-9, he was wondering how a plane that crashes on a building can "cause an explosion nine-three floors down". The quoted phrase is the uncovered part of the sentence.

< Previous | Next >