__ hours later after someone does

• terri_123

Australia, English
    Yes it is quite redundant, perhaps it would be more useful if there was a comma between "later" and "after" and inserting "had" in there too.

"She called police and he fled the home, only to be arrested about five hours later, after he HAD called the home and threatened the woman while police were at the home, Knoop said."

This would make more sense, but to answer the original question, "later" has little meaning in this sentence.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I hesitate to differ with bibliolept and terri, but it does not seem redundant to me. The comma is lacking, yes, but without "later" the "five hours" is sort of an orphan. I think it is necessary.

terri_123

Australia, English
    1) "She called police and he fled the home, only to be arrested about five hours after he HAD called the home and threatened the woman while police were at the home, Knoop said."

2) "She called police and he fled the home, only to be arrested about five hours later, after he called the home and threatened the woman while police were at the home, Knoop said."

In the original sentence, "Later" does make sense, but only when it is followed by a comma.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    She called police and he fled the home, only to be arrested about five hours later, after he called the home and threatened the woman while police were at the home, Knoop said.
    I agree with NT that "later" is not redundant. "Later" tells us that he was arrested five hours after he fled the home. Removing "later" tells us that he was arrested five hours after he called the home. Two entirely different time frames.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Just because I like timelines :)
    The events happened in this order.
    a. She called the police.
    b. He fled the home.
    c. The police arrived at the home.
    d. He called the home and threatened the woman.
    e. He was arrested.

As written, the sentence tells us that between (b) and (e) is about five hours. It also suggests strongly that his arrest was related to the phone call.

Take out later and it is the time between (d) and (e) that is about five hours.

< Previous | Next >