___,given,___

< Previous | Next >

singsing

Korean
Hello everyone,
I'm very confused about the meaning of "given" in the sentence below:

He will be stepping away for this negotiation, given, he operates as interim CEO.

Here, "He" refers to "CEO". That is the only sentence I was given..so assuming from that sentence, could it be rephrased as the following?:

He will be stepping down(is it the same as stepping away?) from his CEO position to participate in this negoatiaion if he could serve as interim CEO.

I'd greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.

• Tazzler

American English
    I think that the second comma after "given" should not be there. Then it should be clear that "given" means "because."

P.S. Glad to see you around again.

singsing

Korean
    I think that the second comma after "given" should not be there. Then it should be clear that "given" means "because."

P.S. Glad to see you around again.
    Hi, Tazzler
    Thank you so much! :)
    Also, thank you very much for your kind words! :)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "Because" works well. Here 'given' is short for "[We have previously been] given [the facts that] he operates as interim CEO [and that interim CEOs do not do that sort of thing.]"

singsing

Korean
    "Because" works well. Here 'given' is short for "[We have previously been] given [the facts that] he operates as interim CEO [and that interim CEOs do not do that sort of thing.]"
    Thank you, PaulQ, for your explanation. It helps a lot.
    When you said "do not do that sort of thing", by "that sort of" do you mean the negotitation?

Tazzler

American English
    I believe Paul means that interim CEOs only have temporary responsibility, so they would not participate in an important negotiation.

< Previous | Next >